DOWRY IS NOT A CRIME…BEING A MAN OR HIS KIN IS!
Thousands of husbands and their families are arrested every year,
without evidence or investigation,
under IPC Sections 498A, 304B, Dowry Prohibition Act, and related wife-centric laws.
Anti-dowry laws are among the most abused laws in India:
- The President of India, High Courts of various States, the Supreme Court of India and the World Health Organization have noted the misuse of dowry laws.
- National Human Rights Commission has issued guidelines to stop unnecessary arrests.
- The Commissioner of Police, Hyderabad, issued standing instructions through a memo vide No.L&O/M6/1315/2002 to check arbitrary arrests.
- The AP Police Dept. has a web page entitled “Abuse of 498A” on their Department website.
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs issued an advisory to all the State Governments and Union Territories on checking the misuse of Section 498A.
Abuse of police powers continues;
Unnecessary arrests have only been increasing in the State;
Innocent citizens are illegally detained, humiliated, subjected to mental and physical torture;
Blackmail and extortion have become a daily business;
…all in the name of “protecting women from cruelty and harassment”.
- The real motive behind these arrests is to terrorize you and extort money from you under the threat of imprisonment and long-drawn legal battles.
- The Government of India is trivializing our pleas to stop arbitrary arrests of citizens under anti-dowry laws.
- The Government is making new laws (sexual assault, work place harassment, acid attacks etc.) which stress on immediate arrest of men upon mere accusations made by women.
- Arrest is inevitable for any man facing allegations of abuse or assault.
- Be prepared to go to jail along with your family even if you committed no crime!
- Free yourself from the fear of jail!
- Get over the humiliation and suffering of being dragged into the streets!
- Do not drive yourself into depression, ruin your health or end your own life!
- Do not give in to blackmail and extortion!
- Learn about your human, constitutional and legal rights!
- Fight back for your honour, dignity and justice!
- IF THEY WON’T MAKE 498A GO AWAY, LET’S MAKE THE FEAR GO AWAY!
Jail bharo! Jail bharo! Giraftaaree se nahee daro!